Thursday, September 29, 2011

The "C" Word

Yep, everyone thought this was going to be a foul language display like George Carlin or maybe Seinfeld. Sorry, it's not.  It's about a word we hear daily, yet a word we still don't understand. It's a word that brings tears from one, yet anger from another. It makes one person die and another live. The word is CANCER.

Cancer has hit my family too many times already. My mother has beat it off once, my other mother beat it off twice before this latest news that it didn't quite get beaten off completely. It simply isn't fair, it's not right and it really doesn't care what you think or do. Cancer sucks.

As I was standing there watching one of the strongest women I have ever met, sitting, getting her hair cut, I knew she was going to beat this again. I don't know why, but the sheer determination that she displayed made me think, I don't feel sadness - I feel determination. I felt her already saying, "Bring it!" Sure, there were tears, fears and other emotions, but the determined look was there. 

I know that this word brings with it the fear, tears and uncertainty. It should, but if there is anyone on the planet that will truly beat this off, time after time, it's Mom. She makes me think of the Times McGraw song and somehow it makes things ok. She is going to live like she was dying for a long, long time. She'll go skydiving, Rocky Mountain Climbing and more than likely spend more than 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.

She is going to beat this off with a riding crop and sheer determination. She is going to be around to walk sweet Evalyn to her first day of school. She will be around to see Evie ride in her first fair and even her high school graduation. She'll be there and I want her to know we will make her be there for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment